Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tomato and White Bean Soup

This is a lighter soup and is high in protein with yummy vegetables. I had french garlic bread on the side. I didn't follow the recipe exactly so my changes are noted

Tomato and White Bean Soup
Idea from: The Savory Notebook

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion (1 medium onion)
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced (omitted)
3 garlic cloves, crushed (I used minced)
2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped(I used diced tomatoes.)
2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini or other white beans, drained (I only used 1 can.)
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
Splash of white wine (omitted)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (I used dried)
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Balsamic Vinegar
Parmesan cheese rind (omitted)
Green Onions, for garnish (omitted)

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, celery and carrot. Saute for about 7 minutes, until soft. And garlic, and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes and next 6 ingredients (tomatoes through pepper), and bring to a boil. (This is where I added the Parmesan rind.)
4. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. (I simmered for at least 20 minutes.)
5. Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with cheese. (I added green onions, parsley and a splash of balsamic vinegar here.)

**I didn't puree this and I added a lot more vegetables than called for, so it was sort of a chunky tomato soup. You could definitely puree it if you wanted a smoother soup.**

No comments: