Friday, March 27, 2009

My Mom's Chili

This is a basic chili recipe that is so easy to make and very adaptable if you ever want to change it up and make it differently. It's great on cold, rainy days like today. I think this is the first thing my mom taught me to make, other than fun little recipes out of my betty crocker kid's cookbook.

My Mom's Chili
1 pound beef or turkey
1 onion
chili powder (to taste)
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 can of rotel
2 6oz cans of tomato paste
1 can red or white kidney beans
1 small can of mushrooms (optional)
Dice onion, brown beef with onion. Strain fat then add desird amount of chili powder. Add all of the other ingredients and add water until reaching desired thickness. I usually fill all of the empty cans with water except the beans can and maushrooms can but you can add more or less water. Stir while heating through. Serve when heated through or it can sit on low heat for a while if needed.

No comments: