Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tortellini Sausage Salad

This is my new favorite salad recipe and the best way to eat raw spinach. It's yummy and has a Mediterranean flare.

Tortellini Sausage Salad
from Good Thymes and Good Food

5 T. vegetable oil, divided (I use olive oil and only about 2 1/2 - 3 tbsp.)
1 pkg. Italian sausage links (I used Kielbasa.)
1 pkg. 9 oz cheese tortilli (I used a 16 oz. bag and I could have used more)
1 6 1/2 oz. jar marinated artichokes - reserve marinade
1/2 c. black olives - sliced
1/2 c. feta, crumbled
1 clove garlic minced
1 tsp. dried basil (For both the basil and the dill, fresh would be great if you have it.)
1/4 tsp. dried dill
1/4 c. green onion
1/2 c. torn/chopped fresh spinach leaves (I used a whole 5 oz. bag and chopped it roughly.)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar (I added this)

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high and add sausage. (I cut my Kielbasa up first.)
2. Brown 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Reduce heat and cook 8 to 10 minutes more, turning once. (I cooked it for about 10 minutes total. I also used this pan to make a sauce, don't clean it yet!)
4. Cool and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
5. Cook tortellini and drain.
6. Toss the tortellini in 1 tbsp. oil.
7. Combine tortellini, sausage, olives, feta, artichokes, green onions, and tomatoes, spinach. (I also added the olives at this point)

**This is what I did differently from the recipe. I used the pan I cooked the Kielbasa in. It had a good amount of oil it in. I added the garlic and cooked that quickly. Then I added the other seasonings and about 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar to make the marinade. I whisked that together and gathered all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. This is what I poured over the tortellini and sausage. The cooked garlic was better than raw garlic, in my opinion, and I plan it this way from now on.)

8. Which together 1/4 c. reserved marinade, 3 tbsp. oil, vinegar, garlic, basil and dill.
9. Pour over sausage mixture.
10. Refrigerate several hours. (I did not do this. I added the spinach and served immediately and it was fine)
11. Add spinach 20 minutes before serving.

No comments: