Monday, April 14, 2008

My Darling Clementine Cookies

This recipe was handed down to me by my great Aunt Mary who typed it up using an old fashioned typewriter on yellowed paper years ago.
They are delicious and simple to make. The recipe itself is charming because you sing it!

My Darling Clementine Cookies

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soft butter
3 cups flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 T. milk
1 t. vanilla
1/4 cup sugar

Mix in bowl to the tune of "My Darling Clementine"

Mash the butter with the sugar,
stir in twenty times and then,
add the flour-baking powder
and the salt, and stir again.

Add the eggs and then the milk,
and add the vanilla, if you please.
Stir and scrunch well with your fingers
till you work the dough with ease.

Oh my darling, oh my darling
sugar cookies - you are fun!
You will soon be in the oven,
in my tummy when you're done.

Wash your hands, and with a teaspoon
round the dough on baking sheets.
Flatten each round with damp fingers,
top with sugar for a treat.

Bake at 400 deg. for 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly brown.

No comments: