Friday, April 10, 2009

Chicken Burritos

So, I wanted to make chicken, but not the usual baked chicken or chicken on the George Foreman grill, etc. I found this recipe and, since I just made tacos Monday night, was able to use the remaining tortilla shells, lettuce and tomatoes. I also added to these tacos some salsa from Trader Joes. Yum I love their salsa, it's like fresh pico.
Chicken Burritos
from Cook Like a Champion
Ingredients
2-3 chicken breasts (I used 2)
4 tablespoons minced red bell pepper (I used a whole red pepper)
1 small white onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic
2/3 cup frozen corn (I used 1 can, drained and rinsed)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons canned jalapenos, diced (Omitted)
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash red pepper flakes
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
9 flour tortillas (I don't think we used 9)
lettuce
tomato
Directions
1. Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.
2. Grill until chicken is cooked through. (I cooked it in a saute pan and then used that same pan to cook the vegetables.)
3. Allow chicken to cool slightly and then shred.
4. In a medium skillet, add red pepper, onion and garlic and cook over medium high heat for one minute. (I cooked this for much longer, probably 7-8 minutes, adding the garlic towards the end.)
5. Add shredded chicken and remaining ingredients through red pepper flakes and cook until warmed through.
6. Meanwhile, microwave tortillas in a damp paper towel for 15-20 seconds.
7. Add cheese, mixing until incorporated. (I just topped ours with the cheese...I forgot to mix it in!)
8. Fill tortillas and eat immediately or wrap in foil to freeze. (If freezing, burritos take about 3 minutes to reheat.)

No comments: