Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tortellini Soup

This is one of my favorite soups and so easy to make! It is hearty and delicious. Trust me, you will want seconds.

Tortellini Soup
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 oz. pancetta or bacon, finely diced (I chopped 6 slices of turkey bacon)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used red onion)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (49-1/2oz.) chicken broth (I used one 30oz box of stock)
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 package cheese tortellini (I used two 9 oz. bags)
1 can (8 oz) crushed tomatoes in puree (I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes for extra liquid since I didn't use as much broth)
8 oz. fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed and chopped (I used a bag of spinach)
1 can (14.5 oz) white beans, rinsed and drained (OMITTED)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta. Cook until crisp.
2. Add onions; cook 3-4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cook 1 more minute.
3. Add broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile cook tortellini according to package directions; drain.
5. Add cooked tortellini to soup mixture.
6. Stir in tomatoes and beans and simmer 5 minutes.
7. Add spinach and cook just until wilted.8. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm.. this sounds yummy! i love anything with tortellini... or any kind of pasta... or anything italian. well, whatever, sounds good.