Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Corn & Salmon Chowder

This recipe is from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Baby. I googled salmon chowder and this recipe honestly looked to be the best recipe that I found so I decided to give it a try. I slightly changed the amounts of some of the ingredients so I made those notes. It was really delicious soup! Even tho it's from a baby cook book. :-)

Corn & Salmon Chowder
1/2 lb red potatoes (I used 3)
1/4 cup diced onion
1 celery rib (I used 4)
1 medium carrot, peeled (I used half of a small bag of baby carrots)
1 clove garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf (omitted)
1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (I used 1 can and a carton of V8 Southwestern Corn liquid soup mix)
3/4 lb skinless salmon fillet
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen (I used canned corn - only one can since I added the V8 liquid)
salt and pepper
Peel and dice potatoes and set aside. Dice onion, celery, and carrot. Mince garlic.
In a soup pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and bay leaf and saute until vegetables turn golden, 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth and potatoes, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
Cut salmon into 1-inch pieces.
Puree milk and 1 cup corn in a blender. Add corn puree, 1/2 cup corn kernels, and salmon pieces to pot. Return to medium heat and simmer, uncovered, until salmon is cooked through and soup is hot, 5-7 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Note: If you are making this for baby, the recipe says that if the soup is too chunky to use a food mill or food processor for baby's portion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooo... me likey the new blog theme. cute!

Jo said...

yeah I wanted to look spruce it up a little!