Thursday, February 12, 2009

Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting

I love making red velvet cupcakes and this is my favorite recipe for frosting them. It's sweet but not too sweet. I didn't have a lot of time this time so I cheated and used Duncan Hines cake mix instead of making the cake batter from scratch. I could tell the difference in the cake but I don't think that anyone else could and the frosting definitely my go-to for Red Velvet Cupcakes.

Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
8oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
4-6 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tablespoons milk depending on desired consistency

Cream the cream cheese in an electric mixer for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl and add the butter, beating for 1-2 minutes, or until incorporated. (Be sure that the two are at room temperature. Cold cream cheese or butter can make your frosting lumpy.) Add the brown sugar, pinch of salt and vanilla extract, and beat until incorporated. Turn off mixer and add 2 cups of powdered sugar. Turn the mixer on a low speed so the sugar doesn't fly out of the bowl. Slowly add more sugar alternately with the milk until you reach your desired consistency. I like my cupcake frosting to be slightly more thick than cake frosting, so it can hold its shape on the cupcake

No comments: