Friday, December 12, 2008

Zuppa Toscana Soup (Olive Garden Copycat recipe)

I love soup in cold weather and this soup is soooo good and came out pretty close to tasting like the Olive Garden soup. I will definitely make this again!

Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Copycat Recipe)
Source: Robbie's Recipes

Ingredients
1 pound spicy Italian sausage - crumbled
1/2 pound smoked bacon - chopped
4 cups water
2, 14.5 ounce cans (about 3 2/3 cups) chicken broth
2 large russet potatoes - scrubbed clean, cubed (I used 3 and could have used more, maybe 4-5, I like potatoes though)
2 garlic cloves - peeled, crushed
1 medium onion - peeled, chopped
2 cups chopped kale OR Swiss chard (I used Swiss chard it turned out Whole Foods is the only store I found near here with either of these ingredients. Oh how I miss Woodmans)
1 cup heavy whipping cream (I used half and half)
salt and pepper - to taste

Directions
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside.
3. Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
4. Add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.

No comments: