Friday, May 16, 2008

Chicken-Sausage (Turkey Kielbasa) and Asparagus saute over Cheese Grits

This is definitely the most Southern dish I've cooked yet! But I have to admit, even the grits were yummy and this interesting combo actually is quite tasty!

Chicken-Sausage (Turkey Kielbasa) and Asparagus saute over Cheese Grits
from Every Day food, adjusted to serve 4 instead of 1
Serves 4

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 precooked chicken sausage, thinly sliced on the diagonal (I used 2 large links of turkey kielbasa.)
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced (I used yellow onion.)
1/2 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, cut into 1-inch lengths (I used a whole bunch.)
1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. grits or yellow cornmeal (I used 1 c. grits.)
2 tbsp. crumbled fresh goat cheese (I used about 1 c. sharp cheddar.)

1. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high. Cook sausage until browned, tossing occasionally, 1-2 minutes; transfer to a plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes.
3. Add asparagus, thyme and 1/3 c. water (I used about a cup and that was too much liquid. I would start with half a cup and add more as needed.) Cover and steam until asparagus is just tender and water has evaporated, about 6 minutes.
4. Add sausage and lemon juice, toss. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
5. In a small saucepan, bring 1 c. salt water to a boil. (I used 4 cups of liquid. 2 c. beef stock (chicken stock would work fine, too) and 2 c. water.)
6. Gradually whisk in grits.
7. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 6 minutes.
8. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper.
9. Serve sausage and asparagus over grits.
I topped grits with a touch of shredded cheese, too.

No comments: