Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Apple Cake

I wanted to make an apple-ish fall dessert other than apple pie (pie just sounded too rich and syrupy). I looked through recipes and decided this one. I wanted a cake that would be light and not too cake-y. I hoped that the spices in this recipe would compliment each other and not overwhelm the apple taste either. Above all I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't turn out like a coffee cake or crumb cake. And it didn't! It was simple and yummy, the apples were soft but crisp just enough and the fall spices are so yummy. Anyway, the recipe is definitely a keeper!

Apple Cake
Everyday Food
Serves 16

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan (I used pam to spray the pan instead of butter)
2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/2 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks (I used 4 small gala apples. Also, I cheated and did not peel them and the chunks were small enough that it didn't make a difference with the finished product)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (omitted because I'm not a huge fan)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
confectioners' sugar, for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 inch baking pan; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
3. Add the apples, walnuts, butter, and eggs; stir just until combined.
4. Spoon into pan; smooth with a spatula.
5. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar to serve

Note: Best apple for baking: Look for a hard, crisp variety that will retain its shape when baked. Gala and Golden Delicious are ideal.

No comments: