Sunday, October 19, 2008

Amish pumpkin bars

I was in the mood for pumpkin bars today and could not reach my mom by phone to get her recipe. I googled pumpkin bars and found so many recipes online. I eventually decided to make this Amish recipe that I found because I figured you usually can't go wrong with Amish baking.
Loved it! It was just enough pumpkin flavor.

Delicious Pumpkin Bars
These bars are delicious by themselves or even better, topped with the heavenly cream cheese frosting included in this recipe.
BARS:
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. each, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 tsp. each, salt and cloves
1 c. oil
2 c. pumpkin
4 eggs
1/2 cup raisins (omitted because I didn't have any)

FROSTING:
2 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
1 3-ounce pkg. cream cheese, softened (I used 6 oz. fat free cream cheese - I love cream cheese)
1 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 350 degrees, grease 9x13 baking pan. To make the bars, combine all ingredients except raisins and beat on low until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed and stir in raisins. Pour into greased pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool completely.

For frosting, combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Frost after cooling and cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.

No comments: